Definición de Mafia en inglés:
sustantivo(the Mafia) [treated as singular or plural]
1An organized international body of criminals, operating originally in Sicily and now especially in Italy and the US and having a complex and ruthless behavioral code.
- Where Mafia and drug barons rule, investigators of any kind become targets.
- Under Italian criminal law it is a criminal offence to be a member of the Mafia.
- Women in the Mafia have been documented as a rising trend in Italy's criminal underworld.
1.1 (usually mafia) Any organized group using extortion and other criminal methods.
- Smuggling, bribery, protection rackets and the rise of criminal mafias are some of the common symptoms of rigidly controlled economies.
- Often sex rackets and drug mafias operate under the veil of these centres.
- There must be a solid hierarchy and system of protection safeguarded by organized crime syndicates or mafia.
1.2 (usually mafia) A closed group of people in a particular field, having a controlling influence: the conservative top tennis mafia
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Leaving the court mafia intact would make the fight against corruption useless.
- Thieves, vandals, and con artists appeared, and online mafias emerged.
- Sandalwood mafias thrive due to the political patronage.
Italian (Sicilian dialect), originally in the sense 'bragging'.
Definición de Mafia en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan