First visited by Vasco da Gama, Mozambique was colonized by the Portuguese in the early 16th century and became a center of the slave trade in the 17th and 18th centuries. It became an independent republic in 1975, after a ten-year armed struggle by the Frelimo liberation movement; civil war between the Frelimo government and the Renamo opposition followed until a peace agreement was signed in 1992
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The 18 years that Joaquim Chissano has been in power speak volumes about his popularity with Mozambicans and perhaps his achievements as president of his country.
- All Mozambicans, including demobilized combattants and the many displaced noncombatants, were encouraged to return to their home communities.
- In 1999, the Mozambican government doubled the Niassa to its current size, partly by creating a ‘buffer zone’ where safari hunting is allowed on a limited basis.
Definición de Mozambique en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional