- 1A very large quantity of something: the tropical island boasts an abundance of wildlifeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Cunningham believes Scotland's hottest prospects will appear in the renewable energy sector because the country has an abundance of wind and wave resources.
- Record shop shelves all over the land are suddenly flooded with an abundance of Best Of Compilations and Singles Collections.
- He won the WBC super-featherweight title in 1998, and with an abundance of natural talent was reckoned a far better fighter than Hamed.
- 1.1The quantity or amount of something, e.g., a chemical element or an animal or plant species, present in a particular area, volume, sample, etc.: estimates of abundance of harp seals the relative abundances of carbon and nitrogenMás ejemplos en oraciones
- We also know their half-lives and can thus determine their relative abundances at the present day, assuming that the isotopes have not been depleted in some way.
- The chemical compositions of those rocks, the relative abundances of the oxygen isotopes locked up in their molecules, their mineralogy, and their textures all betrayed their lunar heritage.
- Hintze gave qualitative estimates of relative species abundances at particular sampling horizons, but did not list total sample sizes.
- 1.2(In solo whist) a bid by which a player undertakes to make nine or more tricks.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The bid of abundance in trumps is only used to overcall another player's bid of abundance.
- 1.3The state or condition of having a copious quantity of something; plentifulness: vines and figs grew in abundanceMás ejemplos en oraciones
profusion, plentifulness, profuseness, copiousness, amplitude, lavishness, bountifulness, bounty; host, cornucopia, riot; plenty, quantities, scores, multitude• informal millions, sea, ocean(s), wealth, lot(s), heap(s), mass(es), stack(s), pile(s), load(s), buttload(s), bags, mountain(s), ton(s), slew, scads, oodles, gobs• vulgar slang assload(s)• formal plenitude
- Like Yosemite it has nature in abundance with mountains, rivers, waterfalls and wildlife plus a crashing ocean close by.
- There was help in abundance with Mayo Mountain Rescue being joined by a number of teams from around the country.
- Well, in the mountains of Nagano there are two things in abundance: ski slopes and onsens (or baths fuelled by hot springs).
- 1.4Plentifulness of the good things of life; prosperity: the growth of industry promised wealth and abundanceMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Lighting a lamp in a house is believed to bring prosperity, plenty and abundance to the family.
- Regardless of whether the scene is set in the seventeenth, eighteenth, or early nineteenth century prosperity and abundance are constants in these images.
- Unlike their parents, who lived through the hardships of the Depression, these baby boomers have known only abundance, prosperity and upward mobility.
Middle English: from Latin abundantia, from abundant- 'overflowing', from the verb abundare (see abound).