- 1A chemical substance that neutralizes alkalis, dissolves some metals, and turns litmus red; typically, a corrosive or sour-tasting liquid of this kind: rainwater is a very weak acid traces of acid Often contrasted with alkali or base1.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It can withstand high temperatures and is resistant to many corrosive substances such as acids and alkalis.
- Zinc is a fairly active metal that dissolves in both acids and strong alkalis.
- Copper is a moderately reactive metal that dissolves in most acids and alkalis.
- 1.1Bitter or cutting remarks or tone of voice: she was unable to quell the acid in her voiceMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The bitterness and acid in his voice reassured me Peter was still in there, but he was very, very upset.
- I guess I hadn't spoken with such acid in my tone for a while.
- Her tone lacked its previous acid; she almost sounded sincere.
- 2 Chemistry A molecule or other entity that can donate a proton or accept an electron pair in reactions.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- They would like to use their carborane acids to bind protons to atoms of the inert gas xenon.
- Weak acids have dissociable protons like strong acids, but they simply do not dissociate completely.
- The acid's active ingredient is positively charged hydrogen, so a transfer of electrons takes place between the zinc and the acid.
- 3 • informal The drug LSD.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He has used mescaline, cocaine and acid, although he has not indulged in intravenous drugs.
- He looked around more, seeing many different things that he would never expect: cocaine, meth and acid.
- That heroin and acid were and are illegal didn't seem to stop him.
Acids are compounds that release hydrogen ions (H+) when dissolved in water. Any solution with a pH of less than 7 is acidic, strong acids such as sulfuric or hydrochloric acid having a pH as low as 1 or 2. Most organic acids ( carboxylic or fatty acids) contain the carboxyl group COOH
adjetivoVolver al principio
- 1Containing acid or having the properties of an acid; in particular, having a pH of less than 7: poor, acid soils Often contrasted with alkaline or basic.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In the case of acid soils, burning decreases acidity, which starts to increase again during the planting period.
- Boxwood prefer slightly acid to slightly alkaline soil and do very well when planted in early fall.
- It used to be that, if you had a very acid soil, the hydrangeas would be bluer; more alkaline soil, your hydrangeas would be pinker.
- 1.1 Geology (Of rock, especially lava) containing a relatively high proportion of silica.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Acraman occurs in the Gawler Range Volcanics, a Mesoproterozoic continental suite of mainly acid lavas and ash flows.
- In the Southern Central Iberian Zone there are minor acid volcanic rocks intercalated with Caradoc-Ashgill limestones.
- These deposits are intimately associated with the porphyric parts of intermediate to acid plutons in orogenic belts.
- 1.2 Metallurgy Relating to or denoting steelmaking processes involving silica-rich refractories and slags.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In the acid processes, deoxidation can take place in the furnaces, leaving a reasonable time for the inclusions to rise into the slag and so be removed before casting.
- Therefore, a business opportunity could be created for an entrepreneur interested in running the acid separation and purification process.
- As it happened, Workington's adherence to acid steelmaking sealed the fate of the ore dock in the next few years.
- 2Sharp-tasting or sour: acid fruitMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Sour and acid tastes are liked, and are manifest in the use of lime juice, tamarind, etc.
- On the visit to the GP I saw a locum who said I must sit about for the next week, not use the computer, and keep off acid fruits.
- You can't eat it fresh because it's so acid, but often these highly acid fruits have the best flavour, and it makes the most wonderful fruit drinks, sorbets, ice creams and other things.
- 2.1(Of a person’s remarks or tone) bitter or cutting.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He has become more prominent since Henry took over in November 1999 and adds the sugar to the coach's acid remarks when things are not going well.
- Ignoring her acid tone, he mumbled, ‘You're very snappy this afternoon.’
- ‘Please leave, I do not wish to speak to you,’ she said in quietly acid tones that immediately raised his concern.
- 2.2(Of a color) intense or bright: an acid greenMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The art students brought their acid colour combinations, their lilacs, tangerines and lime greens from abstract painting.
- She reckons you can get away with virtually anything, particularly acid colours.
- Then her eyes started to glow an acid green colour that swirled in her eyes, almost manically. ‘Sweet dreams.’
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The grilled lemon chicken special was great, and showed that the chef has real skill - there's nothing better than the blend of acidy lemon with a bit of charred poultry.
- The taste changes to become sweet and a little acidy.
- There's homemade tzatziki with everything, and it's acidy and flavourful.
early 17th century (in the sense 'sour-tasting'): from Latin acidus, from acere 'be sour'.