- 1A person who is fully grown or developed: children should be accompanied by an adultMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The years passed as the children grew into adults, left home and came home again when on holidays.
- It's about two youths and the evolution of their relationship as they grow into adults.
- How can something so small require the undivided attention of two grown adults and still not be satisfied?
- 1.1A fully developed animal.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- John White invented a device, using a laser, to knock out just one cell in a worm, either in a developing animal or an adult.
- The latter possibility is very unlikely, as the animal was an adult.
- The four adult and two baby animals will travel down from their home in the Cairngorm mountains of Scotland to pull the sledge, laden with toys, around town.
- 1.2 Law A person who has reached the age of majority. See majority ( sense 2).Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It also discussed the current position, whereby the consent of an adult with parental responsibility will be valid even when the child is able to give a valid consent but refuses to do so.
- Were he an adult with a criminal record, it is almost certain he would face a significant period of imprisonment.
- The Appellant is now a young adult of 20 years of age.
adjetivoVolver al principio
- 1(Of a person or animal) fully grown or developed: the adult inhabitants of the U.S.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It is assumed, in these contexts, that normal, fully developed adult human beings are responsible beings.
- Most animals are developmentally programmed to grow to a characteristic adult size.
- In the 10 years since then, children's fare has grown more sophisticated and adult expectations have diminished, creating a space in the middle where they can all meet.
- 1.1Of or for adult people: adult education the responsibilities of adult lifeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- With no education or adult help, this is a daunting task.
- The children will devise, plan and implement a programme to get adult relatives back into education.
- Teenage mothers often face daunting obstacles to completing their education and achieving adult independence.
- 1.2Emotionally and mentally mature: an effort to be adult and civilizedMás ejemplos en oraciones
- ‘He is determined to turn his life around and deal with matters in a more responsible, mature and adult way,’ Mr Jones said.
- And he should be adult enough and mature enough and experienced enough to understand it.
- Mature, adult comprehension can lead us all to see that there are some very intelligent and worthy of praise men out there.
- 1.3Sexually explicit or pornographic (used euphemistically to refer to a movie, book, or magazine).Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It turned out the lawyers were referring to dozens of adult magazines seized from his home.
- We also assessed the availability of products that could be used as educational or therapeutic products, such as adult magazines, books, and videos.
- Dietz and Sears examined books, magazines, and films in adult bookstores in four cities.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The distinction between childhood and early adulthood has also blurred.
- Music nurtured them as they grew up and they want to keep making music as they continue into adulthood.
- But it is less well known that it often continues to affect sufferers throughout adulthood.
mid 16th century: from Latin adultus, past participle of adolescere 'grow to maturity' (see adolescent).