Either of two (later four) Roman magistrates responsible for public buildings and originally also for the public games and the supply of grain to the city.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- He spent enormous amounts of money buying influence, including giving public games as aedile that eclipsed anything that had gone before.
- Once again, elections were held for aedile, praetor, quaestor and the other traditional offices of the Republic.
- Normally games were the property of aediles, who spent enormous sums to make sure they would be remembered.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Until the 2nd century BC, the curule aedileships rotated on a yearly basis between patricians and plebeians.
- Mamercus was a very wealthy man, and his refusal of the aedileship was the cause of his defeat for the consulship.
- During the elections for the aedileships a fight broke out and numbers of people were killed.
Mid 16th century: from Latin aedilis 'concerned with buildings', from aedes 'building'.
Definición de aedile en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda