- Alternative name: 1,2-dihydroxyanthraquinone; chemical formula: C14H8O4.
- Indigo is now derived from naphthalene, and anthracene yields alizarin, the dye formerly obtained from madder root.
- The synthesis of alizarin stands as a landmark in molecule making for two reasons.
- Red lakes made from synthetic alizarin became common alongside the lakes derived from natural madder dyes.
- These works combined several shades of white paint in built-up layers of greasy petal-like strokes that were punctuated with dots of ultramarine or alizarin crimson.
- His palette drew from nature: heavy, dense ochers, browns, taupes and alizarin crimson.
- The left side of this work is mysterious, with black marks floating on a field of alizarin crimson.
Mid 19th century: from French alizarine, from alizari 'madder', from Arabic al-῾iṣāra 'pressed juice', from ῾aṣara 'to press fruit'.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: a·liz·a·rin
Definición de alizarin en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.