- 1A red pigment present in madder root, used in dyeing.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Alternative name: 1,2-dihydroxyanthraquinone; chemical formula: C14H8O4
- Indigo is now derived from naphthalene, and anthracene yields alizarin, the dye formerly obtained from madder root.
- The synthesis of alizarin stands as a landmark in molecule making for two reasons.
- Red lakes made from synthetic alizarin became common alongside the lakes derived from natural madder dyes.
- 1.1 [as modifier] Denoting dyes derived from or similar to alizarin: alizarin crimsonMás ejemplos en oraciones
- These works combined several shades of white paint in built-up layers of greasy petal-like strokes that were punctuated with dots of ultramarine or alizarin crimson.
- His palette drew from nature: heavy, dense ochers, browns, taupes and alizarin crimson.
- The left side of this work is mysterious, with black marks floating on a field of alizarin crimson.
mid 19th century: from French alizarine, from alizari 'madder', from Arabic al-῾iṣāra 'pressed juice', from ῾aṣara 'to press fruit'.
Más definiciones de alizarinDefinición de alizarin en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional