Definición de allopatric en inglés:
1(Of animals or plants, especially of related species or populations) occurring in separate non-overlapping geographical areas. Compare with sympatric.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Some zoogeographic species consist of two or more related populations that are allopatric in distribution (geographically separate) and are inferred to be reproductively isolated from each other.
- Biological species status is more complex, and application of the biological species concept to allopatric populations is problematic.
- Patterns of diversity of beech in Europe are not complicated by the existence of interfertile species, except for the presence of an allopatric related beech species in Asia minor.
1.1(Of speciation) taking place as a result of allopatric separation.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- If most speciation is allopatric, what would we expect to see in terms of the fossil record?
- In the classic case of allopatric speciation, gene flow is eliminated completely because of a geographic barrier.
- I have no competence to debate his scientific ideas - if speciation is mostly allopatric, or if it is sympatric, or something else, that is not a philosophical matter.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Second, differentiation may have evolved in allopatry following long-distance dispersal of ‘founder’ individuals across pre-existing barriers.
- In general, sizes of island individuals are approximately intermediate in size between those in the region of origin (where they are sympatric and small) and those in the region of allopatry.
- For instance, positive correlations between size and dominance were evident among juvenile Atlantic salmon and brown trout when the two species were in allopatry but not when they were living sympatrically.
Definición de allopatric en:
- Diccionario Inglés británico e internacional
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda