Definición de annatto en inglés:
sustantivo (plural annattos)
1An orange-red dye obtained from the pulp of a tropical fruit, used for coloring foods and fabric.
- Another color the cheese maker could add is the dye annatto (from a tropical plant), which also lends a different shade of yellow.
- Also seek out natural sugar substitutes like stevia and natural food colors like annatto, carmine, carotene, and turmeric.
- To enhance flavor or impart a desired color, cloves, ginger, fructose, aspartame, saccharin, FD & C Red no.40, monosodium glutamate, caramel, annatto, limonene, and turmeric can be added.
2The tropical American tree that yields the fruit from which annatto is obtained.
- Bixa orellana, family Bixaceae
- About 90 percent of the plants can be used as dyes - lychee leaves and branches produce shades of brown, azaleas a yellow to reddish brown and annattos a golden orange.
- Bixa orellana (Annatto) is a native of Central and tropical South America. The tree has been widely introduced throughout the tropics as an ornamental or for its dyestuffs, and has become naturalised in many countries, including Jamaica.
- The Annatto tree or shrub can vary between 6 to 18 feet tall, with a dense rounded shape and short trunk.
early 17th century: from Carib.
Definición de annatto en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan