- A small insect, often with a sting, that usually lives in a complex social colony with one or more breeding queens. It is wingless except for fertile adults, which often form large mating swarms, and is proverbial for industriousness.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Family Formicidae, order Hymenoptera: several subfamilies
- The next time either of those two ants meet any other ant, the information they pass on will be different.
- To scientists, that's as bizarre a finding as a queen bee spawning a colony of ants.
- He has red hair, shouts incessantly and moves as though a colony of ants has invaded his tracksuit trousers.
have ants in one's pants
- • informal Be fidgety or restless.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Maybe it's just God trying to tell me to keep still and stop acting like I have ants in my pants, to just be calm and happy that all is well.
- He appeared to have ants in his pants, refusing to stand still for a minute.
- I have so much energy that the little kids I baby-sit told me it looks like I have ants in my pants.
Old English ǣmete; related to German Ameise. Compare with emmet.