Definición de antiquity en inglés:
sustantivo (plural antiquities)
- Some of the classical cities of antiquity, notably Athens and Rome, became dependent on trade by sea to import the building materials and foodstuffs necessary to maintain both their populations and their navies.
- The poem was accepted as Hesiod's in antiquity, but various indications point to the period 580-520 BC.
- Its counterpart in antiquity was not Plato's philosophy, but Ptolemy's astronomy, which depended on actual measurements, while the former sought eternal truth beyond all possible measurement.
- So did the Christian world historians of late antiquity.
- Undoubtedly, residential building and housing is one of those areas in which one can note a clear change in technology, materials, and design from the period of classical antiquity to that of the early Middle Ages.
- Jewish tradition has given us Lilith, from the Old Testament we know Eve, while classical antiquity produced Xantippe and the Amazons.
- Paintings, works on paper and antiquities were stored and displayed in various buildings throughout the campus.
- Defying the age of celebrity, and resisting the lucrative market for antiquities, the property owner kept mum about his treasure for decades.
- Gauguin's primitivist pottery lives happily within the same walls as ancient Egyptian antiquities.
- It is an unwritten code that wherever possible churches with antiquity would be preserved.
- Montesquieu, Smith and Tocqueville were forced to theorize about the antiquity of the institutions and culture which underlay modernity and its origins in England.
- Historians continue to debate the antiquity and plausibility of his discovery.
This word comes from Latin antiquitas, from antiquus ‘old, former’ developed from ante ‘before’ ( see ante). Antics (early 16th century) is from the same source by way of Italian antico ‘antique’, used to mean grotesque, and as a term for the grinning faces carved on architecture fashionable at the time. From this it came to be used for grotesque behaviour.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.