Definición de antiscorbutic en inglés:
(Chiefly of a drug) having the effect of preventing or curing scurvy.
- In 1747 the British naval surgeon James Lind conducted experiments on antiscorbutic substances - that is, those able to prevent scurvy.
- Gilbert Blane and Thomas Beddoes, highly esteemed authorities on scurvy in the 18th century, rightly doubted that there was any antiscorbutic virtue in malt.
- There are several isomers, only one of which has significant antiscorbutic properties.
sustantivoVolver al principio
An antiscorbutic food or drug.
- Cook did, for example, but other captains didn't and it was an imperfectly understood thing, that you had to have antiscorbutics in the diet otherwise you got scurvy.
- To provide the men with antiscorbutics while on campaign, they pickled everything that would pickle, from onions to potatoes to artichokes.
- The juice of lemons and oranges are antiscorbutics never enough to be commended.
Definición de antiscorbutic en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan