- For a great number in both the academic world and in the public, apocalyptic thought is directly antithetical to the supposedly enlightened and rational methodology of science.
- The whole idea of talking openly and sharing your feelings is antithetical to the good old-time values of emotional repression on which this country was founded.
- Moreover, in some cultures, the idea of seeking an occupation, or working to advance the self, is meaningless within or even antithetical to dominant belief systems.
- The great age of English satire began with Dryden, who perfected the epigrammatic and antithetical use of the heroic couplet for this purpose.
- His own prose style plays a part in some of the richest characterizations: the essay on Coriolanus is abrasive, that on Macbeth antithetical, on Hamlet inward-looking.
- It is written in Attic Greek, with much studiedly antithetical rhetoric and frequent verbal borrowings from the classical authors, above all Thucydides.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The differences in world views between America and continental Europe are gradual, not antithetic, and the similarities exceed the differences by large.
- In contemporary usage, civil society is usually regarded as antithetic to the state.
- Whichever cause has created these effects, the current condition of the church in this country is antithetic to the purpose for which Christ started it
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Casual as these associations may be - other readers will surely draw their own, perhaps antithetically - they make a compelling case for the critical relevance of a lost body of writing whose aesthetic interest isn't always apparent.
- Christ's teachings so specifically preach the virtues of compassion and love and humility and nonjudgmentalism - to see Christians behaving so antithetically toward the teachings of Christ, I'm really offended by it.
- He practices directing as antithetically and abusively to the author's intentions as perversely possible, reaping kudos from benighted reviewers and audiences alike.
Late 16th century (sense 2): from Greek antithetikos, from antithetos 'placed in opposition', from antitithenai 'set against'.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: an·ti·thet·i·cal
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.