Definición de antonomasia en inglés:
1The substitution of an epithet or title for a proper name (e.g., the Bard for Shakespeare).
- Darryl James, editor of RapSheet, presents Eminem with this antonomasia: ‘the Elvis of Rap’.
- A fine example of antonomasia is the name given a polygamist by his four wives in different towns: 'Seldom Seen Smith'.
- One was antonomasia, the usually derisive practice of describing an individual by a certain characteristic, then making it into a proper noun.
1.1The use of a proper name to express a general idea (e.g., a Scrooge for a miser).
- Another type of antonomasia we meet when a common noun is still clearly perceived as a proper name.
- The antonomasia can also work the other way, with a proper name as a description - referring to a soldier as a Rambo, for instance, or calling an obsequious black man Uncle Tom.
- He blithely absolves this libel as an example of "antonomasia".
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan