Loss of ability to understand or express speech, caused by brain damage. Compare with aphonia.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Initially expected to make a satisfactory recovery from the head injury, she subsequently suffered a stroke that left her with aphasia, diminished cognitive abilities, and a seizure disorder.
- I had not had seizures like this before - not with such severe aphasia, such an inability to ask for help and to help myself.
- He was able to map language centers in the brain by observing lesions in patients suffering from aphasia.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Although awake at times, she was aphasic and incommunicative, at least to the physicians.
- The receptive aphasics among the participants detected that the woman was lying 73 percent of the time.
- In April 1860, he had suddenly become unconscious, and although he partly recovered, he remained aphasic.
Mid 19th century: from Greek, from aphatos 'speechless', from a- 'not' + phanai 'speak'.
Palabras que riman con aphasiaAnastasia, brazier, dysphasia, dysplasia, euthanasia, fantasia, Frazier, glazier, grazier, gymnasia, Malaysia
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: a·pha·sia
Definición de aphasia en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda