- 1The recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of someone or something: I smiled in appreciation she shows a fine appreciation of obscure thinkersMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Plans call for a series of events in recognition and appreciation of the company's community, employees, retail partners and consumers around the world.
- Bob will be remembered by friends for his appreciation of fine single-malt scotch, his humble attitude toward himself and his dry sense of humor.
- My reply at the time was that I was no longer entirely sure where irony ended, and where sincere enjoyment and appreciation of the event began.
- 1.1Gratitude for something: they would be the first to show their appreciationMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The money in question is that given by grateful patients to show their appreciation when they leave hospital.
- So rest assured that while we're eager to show our appreciation we would never publicize anyone's name without their explicit permission.
- As a result of the treatment he has received he has been determined to show his appreciation for the staff at Swindon's Great Western Hospital.
- 1.2A piece of writing in which the qualities of a person or the person’s work are discussed and assessed.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- What other county final could pluck a sitting head of government from its archives and get him to write an appreciation from the heart?
- At that time his eldest daughter Maria promised to write an appreciation of her father and this she has kindly done as follows.
- In the 1670s he toyed with the idea of writing a poetic appreciation of the fountains there.
- 1.3Sensitive understanding of the aesthetic value of something: courses in music appreciationMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In this period, they occupied very much the center of aesthetic appreciation and social value.
- Cultivate an aesthetic appreciation for different styles of performance.
- Instead, the modern wilderness ethic cultivated an aesthetic appreciation of wilderness.
- 2A full understanding of a situation: they have an appreciation of the needs of users the bank’s lack of appreciation of their problemsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The preferences have resulted in a general lack of understanding and appreciation for the concept of comprehensiveness.
- Gain full appreciation and understanding of the current approaches to valvular surgery - both aortic and mitral valve replacement.
- What both those views demonstrate to me is an actual lack of understanding or appreciation about what this bill sets out to do.
- 3Increase in monetary value: the appreciation of the franc against the dollarMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The payment is for one time only, and does not reflect the potential appreciation in the unearned increment over time.
- Most are seeking solid returns on their investments through the traditional means of capital gains through price appreciation and dividend payments.
- If you don't already have a lot of equity, borrowing against your home in hopes that market appreciation will increase your equity is a dangerous gamble.
early 17th century: from French appréciation, from late Latin appretiatio(n-), from the verb appretiare 'set at a price, appraise' (see appreciate).