Definición de archon en inglés:
1Each of the nine chief magistrates in ancient Athens.
- At the beginning of every year, dramatists submitted their plays to the archon, or chief magistrate.
- He writes, ‘the meaning of ‘archive,’ its only meaning, comes to it from the Greek arkheion: initially a house, a domicile, an address, the residence of the superior magistrates, the archons, those who commanded’ .
- Interestingly, Meritt initially raised 412/1 as a possibility, restoring Kallias as the archon, an individual whose demotic matched that preserved on fragment 1, Skambonides.
late 16th century: from Greek arkhōn 'ruler', noun use of the present participle of arkhein 'to rule'.
- Example sentences
- In addition, anyone convicted of dishonouring his parents could be struck off the citizen-lists and was considered automatically disqualified from an archonship, or from the right to address the people.
- This took place in the archonship of Hegesias, five years after the first establishment of his rule.
- After the war, Aristides was instrumental in making the archonships open to all male citizens.
Definición de archon en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan