- 1An impressive display or range of a particular type of thing: there is a vast array of literature on the topic a bewildering array of choicesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Judges sit in the audience looking at an impressive array of films ranging from TV commercials to animation for the Internet, from episodes of TV series to indie works.
- The FanFest is part museum, part amusement park and part carnival, with a vast array of displays, presentations, games and interactive activities.
- It has performed a vast array of productions ranging from drama plays, cabarets, pantos, and Gilbert and Sullivan Operettas to hit musicals like Carousel, Anything Goes and My Fair Lady.
- 2An ordered arrangement, in particular.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The amyloid aggregates found in these disorders contain fibers in a variety of arrangements, including partially ordered, birefringent arrays.
- You will be soothed to see an array of books arranged in perfect order (this will happen only if you are a bibliophile).
- Composed of large arrays of microvilli, the BB exhibits one of the most highly ordered arrays of filamentous actin observed in nature.
- 2.1An arrangement of troops.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- His legionnaires marched in full battle array, incorporated an advance guard, and maintained tactical integrity on the move.
- Gone is the need for massed arrays of troops in static positions waiting to confront a Soviet attack in Western Europe as during the Cold War years.
- Military forces conducting operations must anticipate encountering an array of friendly, hostile, and neutral persons within the three blocks.
- 2.2 Mathematics An arrangement of quantities or symbols in rows and columns; a matrix.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- A matrix is a rectangular array of symbols, usually numbers, neatly arranged in columns and rows.
- Equivalently, physicists can represent a given quantum system by a matrix - a square array of whole numbers.
- He describes matrix multiplication (which he thinks of as composition so he has not yet reached the concept of matrix algebra) and the inverse of a matrix in the particular context of the arrays of coefficients of quadratic forms.
- 2.3 Computing An indexed set of related elements.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The new sensor allows the user to communicate with each sensor element of the array by computer.
- Wolfram first formulated these ideas in studies of cellular automata - geometric arrays of minimalist computing elements, called cells.
- A SAN is composed of servers or workstations and storage devices such as disk arrays or tape subsystems that are connected by a network infrastructure.
- 2.4 Law A list of jurors empaneled.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Before the swearing of any of the jurors, 15 the defendant or prosecutor in England and Ireland could challenge the array of jurors compiled by the sheriff.
- A Trib investigation of the last 18 months of jury arrays, the complete lists of everyone summoned for criminal jury duty, found a consistent pattern of racial exclusion.
- The randomness is concerned with the selection of the members of the public for the panel, the selection of the array.
verbo[with object] Volver al principio
- 1Display or arrange (things) in a particular way: arrayed across the table was a buffet the forces arrayed against himMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Should we give up because powerful forces are arrayed against us?
- He knows that vast forces are arrayed against him.
- These forces were arrayed across the battle-space in three forward operating bases, separated by approximately 40 kilometers.
- 2 (usually be arrayed in) Dress someone in (the clothes specified): they were arrayed in Hungarian national dressMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In an effort to pass off Matthew as a commoner, he was arrayed in some outgrown clothes of Krist's: a long-sleeved beige shirt, very baggy indigo jeans, and red and white sneakers.
- The members of the teams were arrayed in fancy costumes, and devoted themselves to getting as much fun as possible out of the encounter, rather than serious cricket.
- He was arrayed in robes of black and scarlet and he wore a golden circlet on his head.
- 3 Law Empanel (a jury).Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Despite this admission, the triers found that the sheriff had impartially arrayed the panel. After the third jury found O'Doherty guilty, the government transported him Australia.
Middle English (in the senses 'preparedness' and 'place in readiness'): from Old French arei (noun), areer (verb), based on Latin ad- 'toward' + a Germanic base meaning 'prepare'.