Definición de attributive en inglés:
(Of an adjective or noun) preceding the word it qualifies or modifies and expressing an attribute, as old in the old dog (but not in the dog is old) and expiration in expiration date (but not in date of expiration). Often contrasted with predicative.
- Word combination often leads to strings of adjectives and attributive nouns, a style that began in Time magazine in the 1920s, with the aim of providing impact and ‘colour’.
- In his introduction to the book, the 6th word is an attributive adjective.
- When we use the expression a London Fog raincoat, we use London Fog as an attributive modifier of the noun raincoat.
- Example sentences
- Tall may be used both attributively and predicatively, as in a tall man and The man is tall.
- In the first case the description is used attributively, in the second referentially.
Definición de attributive en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan