Definición de autarky en inglés:
1Economic independence or self-sufficiency.
- The push to restrict people's opportunities to buy and sell based on region is an attempt to bring about what economists call autarky, or economic self-sufficiency.
- Franco imposed a policy of economic self-sufficiency or autarky.
- The unity they desired was one based upon conquest, political subordination, and economic autarky.
1.1A country, state, or society that is economically independent.
- During the Cold War, these ideas had encouraged the first generation of leaders of the newly independent colonies, and their colleagues in Latin America, to build statist autarkies.
- Trotsky fought for a faster tempo of industrial growth in order to counter this pressure, while at the same time he rejected the conception of an economic autarky.
early 17th century: from Greek autarkeia, from autarkēs 'self-sufficiency', from autos 'self' + arkein 'suffice'.
- Example sentences
- The Soviet Union was supposedly making economic strides; newly independent states were choosing autarkic collectivism.
- These activists oppose international trade altogether and want every local area to retreat into a self-sufficient autarkic state.
- We have the rare privilege of watching up close as a formerly socialist, autarkic economy peacefully attempts to make the transition to a market-based, rule-of-law economy.
Definición de autarky en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan