Definición de betroth en inglés:
verbo[with object] (usually be betrothed) dated
- In fact, if I hadn't been in love and practically betrothed to Joshua, I could have considered marrying the prince, as scary as that sounds.
- Jame, until now seemingly betrothed to his work, is unexpectedly hurt and later heartbroken at losing Vin.
- Part of Cate wanted anyone but Genevieve to become betrothed to the Prince - she would hate to see anyone stuck with a vain, selfish person for the rest of their life.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Hey, I've arranged a lot of betrothals, you can't expect me to remember each one!
- Food is important at ceremonial occasions such as naming ceremonies, betrothals, marriages, and deaths.
- She had seemed so girlish, chattering on about clothes and gossiping about the recent betrothals.
plight from Old English:
In the traditional marriage ceremony the bride and groom each say ‘I plight thee my troth’, meaning ‘I pledge my word’. Plight means ‘to promise solemnly’, and pledge (Middle English) is probably a distant relative. Troth is an old variant of truth, meaning ‘giving your word’ and still preserved in betroth (Middle English). The other meaning of plight, ‘a predicament’, is from Old French plit ‘fold’, suggesting the idea of a difficult or complicated situation. Other words from plit include Middle English pliant (Late Middle English) literally ‘foldable’; and pliable (Late Middle English); pliers (mid 16th century) tools for bending things; and ply (Late Middle English) in the sense of ‘thickness’ as in plywood (early 20th century). (The other ply as in ply with drink, is simply a shortening of apply, see appliance). Pleat and plait (Middle English) are further relatives. Compliant (mid 17th century) looks as if it should be a relative, but its immediate source, to comply (early 17th century), originally came from Latin complere ‘to fulfil, accomplish’, although compliant later developed senses influenced by its similarity to pliant.
Palabras que riman con betrothclothe, loathe
- Diccionario Inglés británico e internacional
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.