(also birch bark)
Definición de birchbark en inglés:
1The impervious bark of the North American paper birch, Betula papyrifera, used, especially formerly by American Indians, to make canoes and containers: stretch the birchbark over a cedar frame [as modifier]: birchbark baskets
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Although these canoes are covered with birchbark, this skin, like that of a kayak, is stretched over a framework of ribs and spars.
- Larger cod tend to be found farther to sea, moreover, so the effect of fishing on the mean adult size of cod should have been relatively low in the era of birchbark canoes.
- Postwar aluminum canoes not only were built out of an entirely new and different material, but were also shaped by heavy-duty industrial machinery rather than crafted by hand, as were birchbark and wood and canvas canoes.
1.1A canoe made of birchbark.
- It was employed to create splints for making baskets, skin an animal, fashion snowshoes, harpoons, spears, bowls, and ladles, and make a birchbark canoe.
- Much of this is devoted to the birchbark canoes of the Dogrib Indians, which in many ways are constructed and look like a cross between the birchbark canoes of the more southerly Indians and the kayaks of the Inuit.
- In essence, the only substantial difference between a birchbark and a wood and canvas canoe is the replacement of birch bark with canvas.
Definición de birchbark en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan