A point of sailing in which the wind blows over a boat’s quarter, between the beam and the stern: on a broad reach they are magnificent craft
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Her performance off the wind is very good, and the full keel and centerboard make the boat easy to balance and comfortable to sail on beam and broad reaches.
- However, many sailboats are significantly faster sailing on a broad reach than running (sailing straight downwind), so the increased speed of a zig-zag course of alternating broad reaches can make up for the extra distance it takes over a straight downwind course.
- On reaches and broad reaches this contributes lots of downward pressure on the hull(s), and particularly the bow(s).
verbo(broad-reach) [no object]
Sail on a broad reach.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The start was really spectacular, with the cruisers and three dinghies setting spinnakers as all 53 boats broad-reached toward the eastern end of Spike, a fast passage with the last of the flood.
- We broad-reached into Broadhaven in the glow of a moody golden sunset.
- The next day we broad reached with the spinnaker and by night fall we motored with no sails.
Definición de broad reach en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda