1A slub or lump in wool or cloth.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Then the said third weft yarn preferably becomes a weft yarn situated between the successive pile burls, a number of advantages of which were mentioned.
- The worker depresses a pedal to start a machine that moves fabric over an inspection board, and scans and feels fabric for defects, such as burls, slubs, loose threads, mispicks, defective pile or soils.
- Presumably it was the plank on which the tucker laid the piece of cloth so that it could be inspected carefully and the burls or knots removed.
1.1North American A rounded knotty growth on a tree, giving an attractive figure when polished and used especially for handcrafted objects and veneers: she used warty burls to construct her pieces wooden coin banks made of elm burl [as modifier]: a burl bowl
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Illustrated in the book are other articles made in the Dominy shop for family use, such as a wooden bowl made of a burl from an apple tree and a swift to wind wool yarn.
- Veneers cut from burls also display the fascinating figure.
- Tucked away in the forest, and only accessible to those with local knowledge, its old contorted paperbark trees exhibited gnarly branches, trunks and burls.
Palabras que riman con burlbirl, churl, curl, earl, Erle, furl, girl, herl, hurl, knurl, merle, pas seul, pearl, purl, Searle, skirl, squirl, swirl, twirl, whirl, whorl
Entrada del diccionario de Inglés británico e internacional
sustantivoAustralian /NZ informal
Early 20th century: regional usage of birl.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en India