- A black beetle that typically has broad orange bands on its wing cases. It buries small animal carcasses to provide a food store for its larvae. Also called sexton beetle.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Nicrophorus and other genera, family Silphidae
- Dental floss was tied to a stake at one end and to the hind leg of the carcass at the other to facilitate locating the carcass after displacement by burying beetles.
- Each of the black pots contains a rotting quail carcass covered in soil and swarming with the larvae of American burying beetles.
- There are isolated examples in nature: the American burying beetle watches its larvae, and male fish do the majority of egg guarding and cleaning.
Más definiciones de burying beetleDefinición de burying beetle en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional