Definición de caesura en inglés:
1(In Greek and Latin verse) a break between words within a metrical foot.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The Greek caesura was always much more flexible than Horaces, and English tends to treat it as entirely movable.
- Do you think there was anything similar to the Classical Latin caesura?
- He appears to be aping the Latin caesura without understanding its structural purpose.
1.1(In modern verse) a pause near the middle of a line.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- He indicates some of the stresses in the manuscript sources of the poem and marks the caesura or pause in each line.
- In this it contrasts with the accentual four-stress line of Old English and Middle English alliterative verse, in which the caesura is expected to fall in the middle of the line.
- All the words had been fully present and correctly pronounced; all the line-end pauses and caesuras had been properly respected.
1.2Any interruption or break: an unaccountable caesura: no deaths were reported in the newspapers
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- A mathematical division called caesura structures the painting.
- ‘Glass facilitates faster communication between inside and outside, yet at the same time it sets up an invisible but material caesura which prevents such communication from becoming a real opening onto the world’ (Baudrillard).
- In my function as translator, I want to be as constant as that musician, who blew without caesura, the way the voice pours one word into the next, his trumpet the instrument of the world's coming out.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- In this, the repetition of ‘one man’ after the caesural pause becomes a sort of pleading, auditory hammer, asserting an individuality even as it knocks itself right out.
- Among other things, it mentions the caesural pause as a device for finishing an imperfect foot.
- Influenced by Italian verse, he sophisticated the stanza form, experimenting with caesural variation and applying the stanza to new subjects.
Mid 16th century: from Latin, from caes- 'cut, hewn', from the verb caedere.
Palabras que riman con caesuraAngostura, Bonaventura, bravura, Bujumbura, camera obscura, coloratura, curer, Dürer, durra, Estremadura, figura, fioritura, Führer, insurer, Jura, juror, Madura, nomenklatura, procurer, sura, surah, tamboura, tempura, tourer
Definición de caesura en:
- Diccionario Inglés británico e internacional
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
= de moda