1Convert into carbon, typically by heating or burning, or during fossilization: the steak was carbonized on the outside
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- If you don't stir it, the porridge on the base of the pan will reach the high temperature of the hot plate and carbonise - ie burn!
- When drilling a deep hole in timber, periodically clean the waste out of the flutes, otherwise it will carbonise, overheat the bit and burn the timber.
- Ultraviolet radiation penetrates the coating and carbonizes the oils in the wood, causing the wood to darken beneath the varnish.
1.1 (usually as adjective carbonized) Coat with carbon.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The Japanese were particularly skilled at carbonizing the edge to make it extremely tough.
- Carbon paper is thin tissue, which has been carbonized (carbon coated) with a hot melt application of a waxy base and pigment, usually black or blue.
- The carbonized fibers are then "activated" through oxidation of a part of the carbon and the resulting formation of a highly porous structure.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The exterior walls of some historic buildings haven't been washed for several decades while the effects of corrosion and carbonization have taken their toll.
- Perhaps even stranger, ARS researchers have found that ordinary poultry manure, when converted by carbonization into granules and powders, can mop up pollutants in water.
- Without a strict control of hydrocarbons and water, mirror degradation as a result of carbonization, oxidation, or etching will occur.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: car·bon·ize
Definición de carbonize en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda