Definición de careen en inglés:
1 [with object] Turn (a ship) on its side for cleaning, caulking, or repair.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- That sort of upkeep had always been done between tides, on gently sloped sandy beaches, where the boats were careened and cleaned.
- Another model portrayed a more elaborate method of careening a ship using an enormous floating dock with a set of capstans to pull a hull onto one side.
- The captain will need our help to careen the ship soon, so he fined us instead of giving us all Mose's law.
1.1 [no object] (Of a ship) tilt; lean over: a heavy flood tide caused my vessel to careen dizzily
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Almost expectantly, he tried to press a button that would apparently shut off one of the propellers and send the boat careening violently off to the left.
- Amaiya had to psychically leap out of the way to avoid the ship careening into her.
- When she could sleep no more, and her stomach churned from the rocking of the ship, Chérie stumbled from her bed and stumbled clumsily as the ship careened sharply to the left.
2 [no object] chiefly North American Move swiftly and in an uncontrolled way in a specified direction: an electric golf cart careened around the corner
[Influenced by the verb career]
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- No matter how much she tried to sort out her thoughts, each one sent three or four new ones careening uncontrolled through her mind.
- Imagine hurtling down corridors and careening around corners, with no sense of what's in front of you.
- Two men, looking like extras in a movie set in a small lakeside town in northwestern New Jersey, come careening around the corner, eyes popping.
Late 16th century (as a noun denoting the position of a careened ship): from French carène, from Italian carena, from Latin carina 'a keel'.
Palabras que riman con careenAberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, Claudine, clean, contravene, convene, cuisine, dean, Dene, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, fifteen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, gene, glean, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, limousine, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, obscene, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sheen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tambourine, tangerine, teen, terrine, thirteen, transmarine, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
= de moda