Definición de cataphora en inglés:
The use of a word or phrase that refers to or stands for a later word or phrase (e.g., the pronoun he in he may be 37, but Jeff behaves like a teenager). Compare with anaphora.
- The notion of cataphora that I have adopted is a broad one, which encompasses cataphores au sens large.
- Cataphora is permitted in certain constructions involving subordinate clauses, although it is not in compound or paratactic ones
- This kind of usage, common in journalism, is perfectly acceptable, despite the fact that inter-sentential cataphora is often ignored by grammarians.
1970s: from cata- on the pattern of anaphora.
- Example sentences
- Anaphoric and cataphoric ellipsis are types of textual ellipsis, where the recoverability of the full structure depends on what occurs before or after.
- The strategy for pronoun resolution thus seems to be the same for anaphoric and for cataphoric pronouns.
- In drama, such oblique or hidden cataphoric pointers to what is yet to come are usually called dramatic irony.
Definición de cataphora en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary