Definición de cataphora en inglés:
The use of a word or phrase that refers to or stands for a later word or phrase (e.g., the pronoun he in he may be 37, but Jeff behaves like a teenager). Compare with anaphora.
- The notion of cataphora that I have adopted is a broad one, which encompasses cataphores au sens large.
- Cataphora is permitted in certain constructions involving subordinate clauses, although it is not in compound or paratactic ones
- This kind of usage, common in journalism, is perfectly acceptable, despite the fact that inter-sentential cataphora is often ignored by grammarians.
1970s: from cata- on the pattern of anaphora.
- Example sentences
- Anaphoric and cataphoric ellipsis are types of textual ellipsis, where the recoverability of the full structure depends on what occurs before or after.
- The strategy for pronoun resolution thus seems to be the same for anaphoric and for cataphoric pronouns.
- In drama, such oblique or hidden cataphoric pointers to what is yet to come are usually called dramatic irony.
Definición de cataphora en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan