Definición de climacteric en inglés:
1A critical period or event: the first major climacteric in twentieth-century poetry
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The year 1981 was a major climacteric for the politicization of policing, most obviously because of the urban riots, unprecedented in the twentieth century.
- The sight of him obediently doing this is an awe-inspiring climacteric in his career.
- But the First World War shocked even him, and that was probably a climacteric.
1.1 Medicine The period of life when fertility and sexual activity are in decline; (in women) menopause.
- Whatever the nomenclature, be it male menopause or climacteric or age related hypotestosteronaemia, men presenting with symptoms outlined in the box should be investigated.
- A transitional period occurs prior to menopause termed the climacteric or perimenopause.
- Lock starts the chapter with an interesting historical review of the emergence of the female climacteric or menopause in medical and psychoanalytic discourse.
1.2 Botany The ripening period of certain fruits such as apples, involving increased metabolism and only possible while still on the tree.
- In climacteric fruits such as peaches and tomato, ripening is associated with a characteristic burst of respiration which correlates with an increase in ethylene production.
- It is thought that the increase in ethylene responsiveness during petal development culminates in the ethylene climacteric.
- Thus it appears that some aspects of ethylene-dependent gene expression are conserved between climacteric fruits such as melon and tomato.
adjetivoVolver al principio
1Having extreme and far-reaching implications or results; critical: Britain must possess so climacteric a weapon in order to deter an atomically armed enemy
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Given these emphases on significant dates, it may not be coincidental that the Ara Pacis was begun during the year in which Augustus reached the climacteric age of fifty.
- The fact that such a climacteric event of our history is not being taught is disconcerting.
- There are two aspects of this climacteric event to be considered in relation to the history of our civilization.
1.1 Medicine Occurring at, characteristic of, or undergoing the climacteric; (in women) menopausal.
- The authors conclude that a dosage of 114 mg per day of phytoestrogens for three months does not relieve hot flushes or other climacteric symptoms.
- In females about 50 years old, various symptoms of climacteric disorders may appear with the decline of ovarian function.
- Both Western and Chinese herbal traditions have numerous solutions for climacteric women.
1.2 Botany (Of a fruit) undergoing a climacteric.
- As a senescing hormone, it promotes leaf-yellowing, climacteric fruit ripening, flower and leaf abscission.
- In the climacteric fruit tomato, ethylene is perceived by a family of six receptor proteins.
- Pear are climacteric fruit: their ripening is associated with a burst of autocatalytic ethylene production.
Definición de climacteric en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan