Definición de cloister en inglés:
1A covered walk in a convent, monastery, college, or cathedral, typically with a wall on one side and a colonnade open to a quadrangle on the other.
- In Carthusian houses the individual cells occupied by members of the community open from the cloister walk.
- A trumpet sounded through the sun-bathed cloisters of Manchester Cathedral after the coffin of Stephen Oake was borne in by six pall-bearers yesterday.
- Hundreds of us occupied the cathedral cloisters and held a short rally.
1.1 (the cloister) Monastic life: he was inclined more to the cloister than the sword
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Jedidah, before you commit yourself to the cloisters, we want to give you a choice.
- When we meet Jesus in the medieval West, it is, in these and other ways, most often as the Christ of the cloisters.
- This embrace of the mystical dimension of faith does not require withdrawal to the cloister or a privatized Christianity.
1.2A convent or monastery.
- Sometimes Behrens recalls these stories from the vantage point of the monastic cloister.
- The setting is revolutionary France and a cloister of Carmelite nuns.
- There were many famous cloisters in Byzantium where such women placed themselves at the service of society as a whole.
verbo[with object] Volver al principio
Seclude or shut up in or as if in a convent or monastery: the monastery was where the Brothers would cloister themselves to meditate she cloisters herself at home
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- His skin sensed the suffocating stillness of the confessional as he heard the thick curtain sway close behind him, cloistering him inside the booth.
- ‘He's uncomfortable with it, so I tend to do it secretly, when I'm alone in the house or by cloistering myself in the bathroom,’ she admits.
- In this house they can cloister their passion freely since Maggie and Adam have in a sense pushed them together.
- Example sentences
- This building from the first quarter of the 18th century became home to a century-old cloistral tradition.
- In the baroque atmosphere of the cloistral reading room you can enjoy exclusive dinners or cultural highlights.
- Many generations have listened to this tale of a young girl high in her cloistral tower lowering her beautiful hair on command to an enchantress.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia