Definición de clout en inglés:
- The cat bounced out of the carrier, fetched his companion a good clout round the ears, and made off to his bowl where he sat, waiting with no patience at all for his delayed breakfast.
- He had no idea what the fuss was about but fetched her a good clout round the ear just to be sure.
- To my dismay, one small box of carefully packed pottery ornaments must have received a heavy clout at some time in the past few years and many of the pieces were chipped, or rubbed.
- His leadership has been accompanied by immense popularity that has endowed him with significant power and political clout.
- Those in the know will tell you he got in the team in the first place only thanks to family influence and political clout.
- It will have such political clout and such economic power that it will dictate the terms.
verbo[with object] Volver al principio
- The following year he would clout 25 home runs, to lead the league.
- During meal times, there is much fighting, growling and clouting.
- The home team, hugely superior, clouted in four goals and then eased up to charitably allow their opponents one.
Old English clūt (in the sense 'a patch or metal plate'); related to Dutch kluit 'lump, clod', also to cleat and clot. The shift of sense to 'heavy blow', which dates from late Middle English, is difficult to explain; possibly the change occurred first in the verb (from 'put a patch on' to 'hit hard').
Palabras que riman con cloutabout, bout, devout, doubt, down-and-out, drought, flout, gout, grout, knout, lout, mahout, misdoubt, nowt, out, out-and-out, owt, pout, Prout, right about, rout, scout, shout, snout, spout, sprout, stout, thereabout, thereout, throughout, timeout, tout, trout, way-out, without
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.