Definición de cochineal en inglés:
1A scarlet dye used chiefly for coloring food.
- The same options were available for dyeing the wool or cotton, which could be achieved at home using dyes such as cochineal and indigo.
- Traditional red colouring includes kermes and cochineal, both of which are pigments made by crushing masses of tiny insects.
- The most common animal dye was cochineal, a crimson colour which came from cactus eating insects, of which 17,000 were needed to produce one single ounce of dye.
2 (cochineal insect) The scale insect that is used for cochineal, native to Mexico and formerly widely cultivated on cacti.
- Dactylopius coccus, family Dactylopiidae, suborder Homoptera
- The brightly-coloured snack contains a red dye processed from the dried body of the female cochineal insect, collected in central America.
- The kermes was expensive and the abundant cochineal insect could be used to make a cheap substitute.
- Farmed, harvested, and dried by natives on small family plots, cochineal insects helped color the silks and wools of Hapsburg royalty.
Words that rhyme with cochinealallele, anele, anneal, appeal, Bastille, Beale, Castile, chenille, cockatiel, conceal, congeal, creel, deal, eel, Emile, feel, freewheel, genteel, Guayaquil, heal, heel, he'll, keel, Kiel, kneel, leal, Lille, Lucille, manchineel, meal, misdeal, Neil, O'Neill, ordeal, peal, peel, reel, schlemiel, seal, seel, she'll, spiel, squeal, steal, steel, Steele, teal, underseal, veal, weal, we'll, wheel, zeal
Definición de cochineal en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India