1A strongbox or small chest for holding valuables.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Other variations might include the integration of a box base used for storage, but despite appearances, box settles are not derivations of a chest or coffer.
- They searched through the libraries and studies, the walls of houses, chests, drawers, coffers and places where money is stored.
- The use of lacquered caskets and coffers for the storage of valuables recurs in a number of paintings.
strongbox, money box, cashbox, money chest, treasure chest, safe;
1.1 (coffers) The funds or financial reserves of a group or institution: the federal government’s empty coffers
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The idea was to finance the empty coffers of the social security system in that way.
- Very little of this cash has gone into improvements to retirement payouts for workers whose ‘deferred wages’ swelled the coffers of the pension funds.
- Two years later, more than half the cash remains in the fund's coffers.
fund(s), reserves, resources, money, finances, wealth, cash, capital, purse;
informal pork barrel
2A recessed panel in a ceiling.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- This is Penn Station's dining room as seen from below after the plaster coffers and pilasters were partially removed.
- Then the coffers were returned to the mosque row by row and fixed in place.
- The latter features a modern bar with zinc top and red strip lighting; contemporary wall uplighters in steel have been fitted to highlight the coffers in the ceiling.
- sense 2.Oraciones de ejemplo
- The rooms are tiny, but most have frescoed or coffered ceilings.
- The house in which he opened his eyes was magical - a library with coffered ceilings, leather-bound sets of Sand and Kipling lining the shelves.
- The gilt rosettes that once studded its coffered dome evoked the firmament.
Middle English: from Old French coffre 'chest', via Latin from Greek kophinos 'basket'.
Palabras que riman con coffercougher, Offa, offer, proffer, quaffer, scoffer
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: cof·fer
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda