sustantivo (plural colostomies)
1A surgical operation in which a piece of the colon is diverted to an artificial opening in the abdominal wall so as to bypass a damaged part of the colon.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- A colostomy diverts stool into an appliance attached to the skin, thereby eliminating leakage of stool from the rectum.
- A colostomy involves diverting the route of the bowel through a hole in the abdomen, with a bag to collect the faeces.
- A long segment of sigmoid colon was resected, and a temporary colostomy was performed.
1.1An opening so formed: [as modifier]: a colostomy bag
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The nurse gives dietary advice to minimise bowel problems and looks after the care of the colostomy opening on the abdominal wall, together with the health of the surrounding skin to which the colostomy bag is attached.
- The cavity is irrigated daily with mild antiseptic solution, and drainage from the tubes can be collected in a colostomy bag.
- The specialists even wanted to operate and give me a colostomy bag.
Late 19th century: from colon2 + Greek stoma 'mouth'.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: co·los·to·my
Definición de colostomy en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda