Definición de commodore en inglés:
1A naval officer of high rank, in particular an officer in the US Navy or Coast Guard ranking above captain and below rear admiral.
- The highest-ranking female officer in the Royal Navy is a commodore.
- Among those attending were several former commodores and captains of the ship.
- In her time she was under the command of nine admirals and finally one commodore, and during royal tours was manned by 220 Yachtsmen, 21 officers, three season officers and a Royal Marines Band of 26.
1.1The president of a yacht club.
- He was the commodore of the yacht club - everyone called him The Commodore - but all the kids were scared to sail with him.
- Born and raised on a farm in Minnesota, she became an avid sailor on the state's many lakes, racing sailboats and eventually winding up as the first female commodore of her yacht club.
- ‘I know sailors all over the country and I believe they can be mobilized as a constituency for change in ocean policy,’ says Rockefeller, himself a former yacht club commodore.
1.2The senior captain of a shipping line.
- At Tilbury she picked up 53 first-class passengers before Captain Richard Griffith, a 46-year-old commodore of the Atlantic Line, headed her down the Channel at a steady 13 knots.
- With the full consent of the Board he continued to sail as Commodore until the end of the summer season of 1900.
- I am honoured by this appointment to Commodore of the fleet of the most famous shipping company in the world.
Definición de commodore en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary