Definición de coney en inglés:
sustantivo (plural coneys)
1British & Heraldry A rabbit.
- The humble rabbit was once commonly known as cony, coney (yes, as in Island Baby) or cunny.
- Only a few weeks ago I had been in Puerto Rico and eaten a most amazing piece of deep fried, nearly greaseless coney so, I was eager to make some rabbit of my own.
- Or the coney killer, coney being the country name for rabbits.
- But manufacturers still use up to two coney rabbit pelts to make each of the new-style hats.
- Because solid colour cat fur is similar to rabbit fur, it is easily passed off as coney in garments and trim and like coney it can be dyed.
- This coat is a black dyed coney fur.
1.2North American A pika.
- The term cony (coney) as used in the Bible refers to the hyrax, not to the pika (‘true’ cony).
- Also called the ‘rock rabbit,’ ‘coney,’ and ‘little chief hare,’ the pika's name is derived from the Siberian word for this animal, puka.
- Also known by the name, coney and rock rabbit, the pika is found across most mountainous regions of western North America.
1.3(In biblical use) a hyrax.
- The so-called ‘dawn horse’, or Eohippus, was most likely not related to horses at all, but was very like a modern-day hyrax - that is, a rock badger or coney.
- Exceptions to this include the hair of the coney, Hyrax syriacus.
- The habits of the coney (hyrax N.S.) are very accurately. portrayed in the Psalms and in Proverbs.
2A small grouper (fish) found on the coasts of the tropical western Atlantic, with variable coloration.
- Epinephelus fulvus, family Serranidae
- Schools of grunts, coneys and tangs marked the entrance to the grotto, an ancient lava flow that cooled to a black tortured cavity.
- Fen fisherfolk knew them as pout eel, while around the Theford area, they were known as coney fish, as they were believed to spend much of their time hiding in holes in the bank.
- A species of Ling is called sometimes the burbot, but it lives in fresh water; and this is also called the coney fish, and supposed to be allusive in the following arms.
Definición de coney en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary