1A thing or person of the same kind or category as another.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Must I turn a blind eye to the tears caused by those who call themselves - and are to some degree - my congeners, even if they too are survivors of Auschwitz?
- Its congener is a report on Taino Indian beliefs, produced for Christopher Columbus by Ramón Pané, a Catalan friar on the island of Hispaniola.
- No one is my congener.
1.1An animal or plant of the same genus as another: these birds or their congeners may be found in East Africa
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Although its higher taxonomy remains controversial, E. texana has been placed in the family Limnadiidae with two other genera and 15 congeners.
- For example, along the subtidal to intertidal gradient, species replacements are common, and there are many examples of one species in a genus replacing a congener over relatively small vertical ranges where thermal gradients exist.
- Most studies of interspecific competition consider sympatric congeners because it is assumed that closely related species tend to compete more strongly.
2A minor chemical constituent, especially one that gives a distinctive character to a wine or liquor or is responsible for some of its physiological effects.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The lower the strength of the raw brandy, the richer it will be in the delicious, fruity, hangover-inducing congeners which provide all spirits with their fundamental character.
- Highest in congeners are drink spirits such as whiskey, scotch, bourbon, port and brandy.
- The darker the drink, the more congeners and other hangover-causing substances you'll imbibe, so tread warily around ports and heavy red wines.
Mid 18th century: from Latin, from con- 'together with' + genus, gener- 'race, stock'.
Palabras que riman con congenerAdelina, Angelina, arena, Argentina, ballerina, Ballymena, Bettina, Bukovina, Burkina, cantina, Cartagena, casuarina, catena, Christina, cleaner, concertina, contravener, convener, Cortina, demeanour (US demeanor), deus ex machina, duodena, Edwina, Ena, farina, Filipina, galena, Georgina, Gina, gleaner, hyena, Ina, intervener, kachina, kina, Magdalena, marina, Martina, Medina, Messalina, Messina, misdemeanour (US misdemeanor), Nina, novena, ocarina, Palestrina, Pasadena, Philomena, piscina, retsina, Rowena, Sabrina, scarlatina, screener, Selina, semolina, Seraphina, Serena, Sheena, signorina, sonatina, subpoena, Taormina, tsarina, verbena, vina, weaner, Wilhelmina, Zena
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: con·ge·ner
Definición de congener en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda