Definición de coxcomb en inglés:
1 dated A vain and conceited man; a dandy.
- His manner assures her ‘that he was exactly the coxcomb she had heard him described to be.’
- Wouldn't that be egg all over the face of the dizzy-eyed coxcomb of a Prime Minister.
- As an afterthought, the red-headed girl suddenly added, ‘Good gracious, that Adam Weatherly is such a coxcomb.’
mid 16th century (denoting a simpleton): variant of cockscomb, in the sense 'jester's cap' (resembling a cock's comb), hence 'a jester, a fool'.
coxcombry sustantivo (plural coxcombries)
- sense 1.Example sentences
- It is this coxcombry which leads him so often into allegory and objectless personification.
- This insolent condescension - this coxcombry of admiration - more galling than the arrogance of contempt!
- He campily portrayed the obsessed doctor with all the venom and vice and coxcombry he could muster.
- Example sentences
- The buttons are worn about an inch apart, evincing les coxcombery than in the defunct days of close buttons.
- A review charges Carlyle with carrying "quaintness, neologism and coxcombery" through three volumes of "flippant pseudo-philosophy."
- Mr. Haines stirred up a good deal of merriment by his coxcombery and cheek.
Words that rhyme with coxcombcockscomb
Definición de coxcomb en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia