1 dated A vain and conceited man; a dandy.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- His manner assures her ‘that he was exactly the coxcomb she had heard him described to be.’
- Wouldn't that be egg all over the face of the dizzy-eyed coxcomb of a Prime Minister.
- As an afterthought, the red-headed girl suddenly added, ‘Good gracious, that Adam Weatherly is such a coxcomb.’
sustantivo (plural coxcombries)
- sense 1.Oraciones de ejemplo
- It is this coxcombry which leads him so often into allegory and objectless personification.
- This insolent condescension - this coxcombry of admiration - more galling than the arrogance of contempt!
- He campily portrayed the obsessed doctor with all the venom and vice and coxcombry he could muster.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The buttons are worn about an inch apart, evincing les coxcombery than in the defunct days of close buttons.
- A review charges Carlyle with carrying "quaintness, neologism and coxcombery" through three volumes of "flippant pseudo-philosophy."
- Mr. Haines stirred up a good deal of merriment by his coxcombery and cheek.
Mid 16th century (denoting a simpleton): variant of cockscomb, in the sense 'jester's cap' (resembling a cock's comb), hence 'a jester, a fool'.
Palabras que riman con coxcombcockscomb
Definición de coxcomb en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda