(also culex mosquito)
sustantivo (plural culices /-ləˌsēz/)
A mosquito of a genus that includes a number of kinds commonly found in cooler regions. They do not transmit malaria, but can pass on a variety of other parasites including those causing filariasis. Compare with anopheles.
- Genus Culex, subfamily Culicinae, family Culicidae.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- He urged authorities to gather more data on occurrences of the culex tritaeniorhychus mosquito in each district to identify high-risk areas and then step up efforts to control it.
- In summary the infection comes from the bite of a culex mosquito carrying the virus from an infected bird.
- The Toxo mosquito, when in a larvae state, has the nature to feed on the comparatively smaller sized anopheles and culex larvae.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The reduction in entry rates of anopheline and culicine mosquitoes into the rooms with treated nets compared to control indicated good efficacy with all the formulations and doses of the insecticides.
- During field experiment in 13 fortnights the total anopheline and culicine mosquitoes entered in experimental houses were 2818.
- Female-biased sex ratios in culicines have been described in the context of thermal stress during embryogenesis and differential larval mortality.
Late 19th century: Latin, literally 'gnat'.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: cu·lex
Definición de culex en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda