Definición de cycloid en inglés:
A curve (resembling a series of arches) traced by a point on a circle being rolled along a straight line.
- Neile's parabola was the first algebraic curve to have its arc length calculated; only the arc lengths of transcendental curves such as the cycloid and the logarithmic spiral had been calculated before this.
- Many famous mathematicians, including Descartes, have worked on a class of curves called cycloids.
- He defines evolutes and involutes of curves and, after giving some elementary properties, finds the evolutes of the cycloid and of the parabola.
mid 17th century: from Greek kukloeidēs 'circular', from kuklos 'circle'.
- Example sentences
- Desargues proposed cycloidal teeth for gear wheels in the 1630's.
- Huygens believed that a pendulum swinging in a large are would be more useful at sea and he invented the cycloidal pendulum with this in mind.
- He also worked on cycloidal pendulums, the laws of resistance in a fluid and differential geometry.
Definición de cycloid en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan