Definición de daisy en inglés:
sustantivo (plural daisies)
1A small grassland plant that has flowers with a yellow disk and white rays. It has given rise to many ornamental garden varieties.
- Bellis perennis, family Compositae (or Asteraceae; the daisy family). The plants of this large family (known as composites) are distinguished by having composite flower heads consisting of numerous disk florets, ray florets, or both; they include many weeds (dandelions, thistles, ragworts) and garden flowers (asters, chrysanthemums, dahlias, marigolds)
- Yellow tulips and white daisies filled that patch, and different kinds of flowers surrounded the rest of the house.
- I gave a gasp as Justin came over with a bouquet of yellow and white daisies and a huge smile on his face.
- These two plants flower at the same time to give a display of tiny white and large yellow daisies for weeks at the end of the summer.
1.1Used in names of other plants with flowers similar to the daisy, e.g., Michaelmas daisy, Shasta daisy.
- The parks department created displays of autumn flowers, including chrysanthemums, Michaelmas daisies, and geraniums.
- This side is more like a meadow, dominated by longer grasses and a host of ox-eye daisies.
- This Shasta daisy, with its double blooms, is truly unique and fun with its fluffy look.
Old English dæges ēage 'day's eye' (because the flower opens in the morning and closes at night).
(as) fresh as a daisy
- Healthy and full of energy.Example sentences
- Although you probably didn't even notice I was gone, I'm home from my mountain getaway this week, fresh as a daisy from lots of sleep.
- Went to bed last night at 1: 30 am and woke up fresh as a daisy at 5 am.
- I was in bed by 8: 30 pm and awoke fresh as a daisy, all recuperated and ready to face the day shift.
pushing up (the) daisies
- informal Dead and buried.Example sentences
- I just hope you two find your peace before I'm pushing up daisies in Gate of Heaven.
- And he hasn't done that since May 2002, leading some to speculate that he's injured, plugged into a dialysis machine, or already pushing up the daisies.
- On this occasion we were told not to grieve because our friend would soon be pushing up the daisies.
Definición de daisy en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary