A large strikingly marked butterfly of a group that includes the monarch, found chiefly in the tropics of Africa and East Asia.
- Subfamily Danainae, family Nymphalidae (formerly family Danaidae)
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The male danaids have two brushlike structures called hairpencils that are normally tucked into the rear of the abdomen.
- Danaids are large, robust butterflies that contain some of the longest-lived butterflies in the world.
- The danaid butterflies, such as the Monarch, are well recognised to be doubly defended from predators by two classes of plant-derived toxins.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Danaidae, arbitrary use of the Latin name of the daughters of Danaus.
Definición de danaid en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional