- 1Make (a noise or sensation) less intense: ether was used to deaden the painMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Close all the curtains and turn on the radio or television to deaden the noise.
- This will help deaden the noise of heavy footfalls and provides a much kinder surface to unhook fish on than hard boards.
- Corridors are floored with black linoleum, which deadens noise and adds to the devout atmosphere, as if science were some kind of holy order.
- 1.1Deprive of the power of sensation: diabetes can deaden the nerve endingsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Cantus sighed in relief, relaxing as I deadened his nerves.
- His mind screamed at him not to, but his nerves were deadened, refusing to respond.
- Based on its placement, I would bet that it has deadened the nerve, so that you would indeed feel no pain.
- 1.2Deprive of force or vitality; stultify: the syllabus has deadened the teaching process (as adjective deadening) a deadening routineMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Life is busier than ever for most couples and it's easy to fall into a routine that deadens your marriage.
- Stale routine can be deadening and it appears to me that you are following a routine here lately, with business and other daily affairs.
- Then it flew back into my mind with hideous, deadening force.
- 1.3Make (someone) insensitive to something: laughter might deaden us to the moral issueMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The sex - well, I'm still not getting any, but working sixteen hour days three times a week, and 8 hour days the other three, is deadening me sufficiently that I don't feel this so acutely.
- Twenty years of blockbusters have deadened audiences to the excitement of big armies and lavish effects.
- In this culture, we are deadened to the effects of our lives on other people, other animals, on natural resources every day.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Proust, who understood the many varieties of snobbery as well as anyone has, called it ‘the greatest sterilizer of inspiration, the greatest deadener of originality, the greatest destroyer of talent.’
- By the time the next cell is reached, 16 sound deadeners have been added to the wheel wells, floor, and inner door and side panels.
- Remember this quote: ‘Habit is the great deadener.’