1A thing that discourages or is intended to discourage someone from doing something.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Disulfiram is a well established drug that acts as a deterrent to drinking by blocking the metabolism of alcohol and thus flooding the body with the toxic substance acetaldehyde.
- Penalty rates, which once acted as a limited deterrent to employers demanding excessive overtime, were either scrapped or severely cut back.
- To the front of these again is the infamous crash barrier, which should act as a deterrent to ramming but is already showing the dents brought on consistent efforts to get through.
disincentive, discouragement, damper, curb, check, restraint;
obstacle, hindrance, impediment, obstruction, block, barrier, inhibition
1.1A nuclear weapon or weapons system regarded as deterring an enemy from attack.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- First, the submarine-launched ballistic system was recognized as the most survivable element in the triad of strategic nuclear deterrents.
- France and the United Kingdom each rely on just four submarines for their independent nuclear deterrents.
- Another was submarine-launched ballistic missiles as a part of the nuclear deterrent of the superpowers.
Able or intended to deter: the deterrent effect of heavy prison sentences
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- And the legal system generally takes the view that the value of using speech as evidence justifies this indirect deterrent effect.
- But a great deal of recent evidence strengthens the claim that capital punishment has large deterrent effects.
- There is substantial doubt that capital punishment has any significant deterrent effect.
Early 19th century: from Latin deterrent- 'deterring', from the verb deterrere (see deter).
Palabras que riman con deterrentaberrant, errant, inherent, knight-errant
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: de·ter·rent
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda