A solitary wasp that typically excavates a burrow in sandy soil, filling it with one or more paralyzed insects or spiders for its larvae to feed on.
- Families Sphecidae (which includes sand wasps) and Pompilidae (which includes spider-hunting wasps)
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In this study, we investigated a solitary digger wasp, the European beewolf, Philanthus triangulum (Hymenoptera, Sphecidae), and asked whether parental behavior entails a cost to females.
- Below my leather boots the ground is covered in an endless assortment of life: bronze pine needles, lobed oak leaves, a digger wasp.
- Interestingly, the great golden digger wasp, a close relative of the cicada killer, does not have enlarged spurs and digs only with its fore-legs.
Definición de digger wasp en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional