- He looked like a dour, stern man and had a rather ominous air about him.
- In his dour manner, he stated that he was the foreman of the team, and called over two other men whom he introduced.
- Dire, dour and disappointing are three which spring instantly to mind.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Newton himself expressed his thoughts so dourly that students often avoided his lectures at Cambridge, and he spent his time, as one reporter put it, ‘lecturing to the walls’.
- Clonmel's Minella stayed on dourly through the rain-softened ground to take the Shearwater Handicap ‘Chase.
- His tinkling take on Karma Police, for instance, calls to mind Mozart's piano concertos, while Everything in Its Right Place, with its bottom-end minor notes, is dourly reminiscent of Shostakovich - and all free of Yorke's watery squall.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Combining dourness and humour, sentimentality and hard-headedness, arrogance and tolerance, every situation is redeemed by laughter.
- Brady's carefully-cultivated air of dismissive dourness offset Giles' sombre demeanour perfectly, as it usually does.
- Deconstructive dourness never stays put, however, so of course the deconstructive acid seeped over from museum practices to high art itself.
Late Middle English (originally Scots): probably from Scottish Gaelic dúr 'dull, obstinate, stupid', perhaps from Latin durus 'hard'.
This word meaning ‘relentlessly severe’ was originally Scots. It is probably from Scottish Gaelic dúr ‘dull, obstinate, stupid’, perhaps from Latin durus ‘hard’.
Palabras que riman con dourabjure, adjure, allure, amour, assure, Bahawalpur, boor, Borobudur, Cavour, coiffure, conjure, couture, cure, dastur, de nos jours, doublure, embouchure, endure, ensure, enure, gravure, immature, immure, impure, inure, Jaipur, Koh-i-noor, Kultur, liqueur, lure, manure, moor, Moore, Muir, mure, Nagpur, Namur, obscure, parkour, photogravure, plat du jour, Pompadour, procure, pure, rotogravure, Ruhr, Saussure, secure, simon-pure, spoor, Stour, sure, tour, Tours, velour, Yom Kippur, you're
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: dour
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.