Definición de dour en inglés:
Relentlessly severe, stern, or gloomy in manner or appearance: a hard, dour, humorless fanatic
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He looked like a dour, stern man and had a rather ominous air about him.
- In his dour manner, he stated that he was the foreman of the team, and called over two other men whom he introduced.
- Dire, dour and disappointing are three which spring instantly to mind.
This word meaning ‘relentlessly severe’ was originally Scots. It is probably from Scottish Gaelic dúr ‘dull, obstinate, stupid’, perhaps from Latin durus ‘hard’.
- Example sentences
- Newton himself expressed his thoughts so dourly that students often avoided his lectures at Cambridge, and he spent his time, as one reporter put it, ‘lecturing to the walls’.
- Clonmel's Minella stayed on dourly through the rain-softened ground to take the Shearwater Handicap ‘Chase.
- His tinkling take on Karma Police, for instance, calls to mind Mozart's piano concertos, while Everything in Its Right Place, with its bottom-end minor notes, is dourly reminiscent of Shostakovich - and all free of Yorke's watery squall.
- Example sentences
- Combining dourness and humour, sentimentality and hard-headedness, arrogance and tolerance, every situation is redeemed by laughter.
- Brady's carefully-cultivated air of dismissive dourness offset Giles' sombre demeanour perfectly, as it usually does.
- Deconstructive dourness never stays put, however, so of course the deconstructive acid seeped over from museum practices to high art itself.
Words that rhyme with dourabjure, adjure, allure, amour, assure, Bahawalpur, boor, Borobudur, Cavour, coiffure, conjure, couture, cure, dastur, de nos jours, doublure, embouchure, endure, ensure, enure, gravure, immature, immure, impure, inure, Jaipur, Koh-i-noor, Kultur, liqueur, lure, manure, mature, moor, Moore, Muir, mure, Nagpur, Namur, obscure, parkour, photogravure, plat du jour, Pompadour, procure, pure, rotogravure, Ruhr, Saussure, secure, simon-pure, spoor, Stour, sure, tour, Tours, velour, Yom Kippur, you're
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan