A fleshy fruit with thin skin and a central stone containing the seed, e.g., a plum, cherry, almond, or olive.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The fruit, a drupe with fleshy pulp and a high fat content, contains a glucoside which makes olives, especially unripe ones, very bitter.
- Fruiting plants are immediately recognizable by the unique bright blue color of their drupes, but sterile shrubs are very nondescript and easily overlooked.
- Hermit thrushes ate 14 pondberry fruits during six observation periods in 2000-2001, and 13 drupes during five observation periods in 2001-2002.
mid 18th century: from Latin drupa 'overripe olive', from Greek druppa 'olive'.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Similarities of these drupaceous fruits have been noted by Carlquist.
- A machine for the pitting of drupaceous fruits has an endless chain of articulated conveyor plates each provided with several vertical cylindrical bores whose flared mouths face upward.
Definición de drupe en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional