Definición de elutriate en inglés:
verbo[with object] Chemistry
1Separate (lighter and heavier particles in a mixture) by suspension in an upward flow of liquid or gas.
- In the laboratory, the material from each core retained on the 250 - [micro] m mesh was elutriated in supersaturated sucrose solution to remove juvenile macrofauna and sediments were sorted to remove larger macrofauna.
- A scavenging, or sorting, model involves fluidization of poorly sorted Mawson Formation lapilli-tuffs, perhaps with a contribution from volcaniclastic rafts, with the fine particles elutriated then injected to form clastic dykes.
- Alternatively, the coarser grain-sized intrusions seen at outcrop may be testimony to high flow velocities during fluidization and injection, with any finer-grained sand or silt having been elutriated from the system.
mid 18th century: from Latin elutriat- 'washed out', from the verb elutriare, from e- (variant of ex-) 'out' + lutriare 'to wash'.
- Example sentences
- G1 daughter cells obtained by centrifugal elutriation were released into fresh medium and monitored every 30 min thereafter for the presence of Trf4p on chromosome spreads, for nuclear morphology, and for spindle morphology.
- Approximately 2 x 10 exponentially growing HeLa-S3 cells were synchronized by size using centrifugal elutriation in a J6 MI centrifuge and at least 15 size-separated fractions were collected.
- In this volcanic setting elutriation was driven by magmatic heat, but the production of relatively finer-grained clastic dykes by elutriation of material from coarser ill-sorted sources may be significant in many settings.
Definición de elutriate en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan