Leave one’s own country in order to settle permanently in another: Rosa’s parents emigrated from Argentina
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- First, skilled workers are legally emigrating, temporarily or permanently, to rich countries.
- She studied with Preobrajenska as a child in Paris, where her parents settled after emigrating from Russia.
- Many citizens with higher education were trained abroad and they often emigrate permanently.
move abroad, move overseas, leave one's country, migrate;
late 18th century: from Latin emigrat- 'emigrated', from the verb emigrare, from e- (variant of ex-) 'out of' + migrare 'migrate'.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The sale of fields, followed by the sale of the farm itself, and William's emigration to the USA suddenly made sense.
- There can hardly be a family in Ireland which did not lose sons or daughters to emigration during the 1950s.
- Tens of thousands sought emigration abroad every year in the years immediately following the crackdown.